Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Baking my bundt off

Now it was time to get serious about the business. Before I could move forward I had to find a commercial kitchen to bake in. Easier said than done. There is a facility here called The Kitchen Space and it's a rent by the hour thing (which is usually not a good thing, especially with motels, but here it works). They have several kitchens but charge $25.00 per hour. I knew that it would be a long process and I would be in there for months and months before I could ever start selling so I had to find something I could afford. I went on Craigslist and somehow managed to find a wonderful man who owns a catering company and was willing to rent their kitchen to me a few nights a week for a really reasonable price.
I think something like this is a lot easier for a person who is focused on just one item, like brownies or cupcakes. But those have been done to death (and really well) and I knew I wanted to come up with something a little different. I research a lot and watch trends and I knew that small, individual desserts were going to stay in fashion and also people in general were moving towards more natural and organic products. I started buying things I might need including really pretty mini-bundt pans and a new stand mixer and off I went. Needless to say, there were many disasters. The first night I felt like Lucy and Ethel combined. I was covered in flour-head to toe. Every counter in the whole kitchen and every single measuring cup and spoon, mixing bowl etc were dirty. I was using the regular ovens because I had no idea how to use the big commercial ovens and everything was either burning or not cooked all the way through. The next night was a little better. And so it went; some nights were pretty successful, others had me almost in tears. Over the next few months I made some delicious cakes and bars but nothing that seemed special enough. I definitely had my work cut out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment